An amazing cast, amazing plays, fantastic theatre space, and an afternoon that turns into evening all helped make the Book Release Celebration for Stage THIS! Volume 3 a huge success.
The readings were performed in two segments: monologues 5:00 pm-6:30 pm, then short plays at 8:00 pm, followed by a wine reception.
From Stacie Theon’s brilliant performance of Alex Broun’s Beer and Newspaper, followed by a knock-out reading by Charnele Crick of Paul Shoulberg’s Gone, the audience knew they were in the presence of talent.
Those attending voted for the Audience Favorite In the monologue category, attendees selected Beth Kander’s Psychic. Runners-up were Lisa Stephenson’s Cheryl, bolstered by a head-turning performance (sans book) by Cara Vander Weil, and Michele Merens’ Geraldine, with a delicate and heartfelt reading by Emilie Byron.
Audience Favorite winner in the short play category went to Trunk of Turin: A Small Act of Faith by Andrew Davis and David Dolle. These playwrights certainly owe a thank you to performers Eric C. Bailey and Michael Yeshion for lending their comic chops. Runner-up Favorite was Steven Korbar’s All the Way, performed with incredible elegance by Robbie Neigeborn and Chima Chikazunga.
E-MergingWriters.com and Fn Productions are grateful for all the great acting witnessed last night and want all playwrights to know that their works were in the hands of gifted performers that also included Cheryl King, Heather Koren, Bobby Abid,Frank Blocker, William DeMeritt, Krista Severeid, Brian Schlanger and Sydney Stone.
Books will be mailed by July 21 to playwrights not in attendance.
The Public Reading and Book Release Party for Stage THIS! Monologues, Short Solo Plays and 10-Minute Plays will take place at The Vortex Theater, 164 11th Ave. (@ 22nd St), New York, New York. For those of you in the area, that’s right across the street from Chelsea Piers.
Monologues are presented at 5:00 pm on Sunday, July 12. At 8:00 pm, ten-minute plays will be presented. Afterward, a wine reception will take place along with book signing party. There is a suggested donation of $5.00 for each event, and with a $15 donation or more, patrons receive a complimentary book.
Monologues, 5: 00 pm
- Beer and Newspaper by Alex Broun, Australia, featuring Stacie Theon
- Gone by Paul Shoulberg, Brooklyn, New York, featuring Charnele Crick
- I Witness by Joan Anderson & Dorothy Sanders, Ft Worth, Texas, featuring Sydney Stone*
- Cosmic Judo by Alan Steinberg, Potsdam, New York, featuring William DeMeritt
- Cheryl by Lisa Stephenson, Cincinnati, Ohio, featuring Cara Vander Weil
- JD by Lisa Stephenson, Cincinnati, Ohio, featuring Krista Severeid*
- selection from Faith by Wm. P. Coyle, Flushing, New York, featuring Brian Schlanger*
- selection from Geraldine by Michele Merens, Bayside, Wisconsin, featuring Emilie Byron*
- The Right Not to Take Me Seriously by William Gebby, Indianapolis, Indiana, featuring Michael Yeshion
- A Peace of Candy by Marie Mastrangelo, Irvine, California, featuring Stacie Theon
- Psychic by Beth Kander, Jackson, Mississippi
Short Plays, 8:00 pm
- Bodkin by Robin Russin, Los Angeles, California, featuring Robbie Neigeborn and Chima Chikazunga
- Maude by Mary F. Casey, Los Angeles, California, featuring Sydney Stone* and Cheryl King
- Night Vision by S. L. Daniels, Chicago, Illinois, featuring Heather Koren*
- Just Because of The Umbrella by Ivor Martinic, Zagreb, Croatia, featuring Charnele Crick and William DeMeritt, assisted by Stacie Theon and Eric C. Bailey*
- All the Way by Steven Korbar, Torrance, California, featuring Emilie Byron and Robbie Neigeborn
- Tied Lines by Amanda LePain, Minneapolis, Minnesota, featuring Bobby Abid* and Heather Koren*
- Trunk of Turin: One Small Act of Faith by Andrew Davis & David Dolle, Houston, Minnesota, featuring Michael Yeshion and Eric C. Bailey*
* denotes members of Actors’ Equity Association